Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Great Progress

   Well after sleeping most of the day yesterday and through the night Carter looks great today!!! The end of this roller coaster ride is in sight. I can feel it. I feel so optimistic today. He had 1 tiny episode at 3:30 this morning. Carter got swolled up by the big bed and several large pillows. This normally wouldn't be a problem but he can't lifft himself up or move around by himself. I was woken up by his alarms and lots of coughing (he is full of mucous). When I got to him his oxygen levels were low because his oxygen had fallen off and he as stuck flat on his back. With a little help from the charge nurse he was soon back to sleep. Definitely need to remember this. I think I learned a lesson and some do's and don't's for home.  Happy birthday to my mom!! Carter is so excited to see grandma and grandpa Cathelyn tonight. He promises to sing happy birthday! We probably wont be able to hear him since his voice is still so soft. We keep working on getting his voice back. All those times I told him to be quiet and now I would give anything to hear his loud voice again. Right now his voice is soft and sweet. Its really cute. I kind of like it. It would be nice when he fights with his sister or when we are in church. It probably has something to do with the breathing tubes and possibly the oxygen.
  Overall Carter has made huge improvements in the last 24 hours. They stopped his IV blood pressure medication. Dr. Fortuna and  the team rounded this morning. He is very happy with the drainage from the chest tube. If the drainage  continues to taper off like it has the plan is to remove the chest tubes tomorrow!!!! Carter's lungs are both "collapsed" in the lower bases. They have weaned his oxygen down to 1 liter. Dr. Fortuna says this is not a problem. Today he wants Carter walking walking walking. Hopefully he has enough strength. It took everything out of him just to sit in a chair yesterday. It is amazing how quickly children can recover. Carter actually ate breakfast today. He had half a slice of french toast, 2 slices of Bacon, and a few grapes!!! We are so happy!! I finally  left the hospital this morning. I am at the family house. I took a nice relaxing shower and I think I am going to lay down for an hour and take a much needed nap. Matt came to the family house during the night so we have traded spots. It feels so refreshing to be outside. Its a beautiful day and Carter is doing great. I couldn't ask for more. We are so blessed. I read in a book that in order to receive a miracle......you have to believe in miracles. You can bet I am a believer! Carter is a miracle. He is our miracle!!

6 comments:

  1. This post just brought tears of joy to my eyes! I am so happy and thankful that Carter is doing so well and that you and Matt have been able to get some much needed rest. As worried as I have been about Carter, I have been just as worried about the two of you. I hope Carter gets plenty of walks in today. Always in my thoughts ~ brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a wonderful update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Kim! Nice birthday present for your Mom, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also crying here in my cubicle. Tears of joy! I am so glad to hear this. He truly is a miracle. You both are great parents and have dealt with so much and prevailed. I am glad you are able to relax and get some rest. You both deserve that. Please let me know if you need anything. Keep up the great work Carter! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully spoken Kim, your love is so evident in these words!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear such positive news...can't wait to run circles with that super kiddo:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Team Carter a Message: