Tuesday, September 18, 2012

   Carter walked in the hallway while I was at the Family House. He made it into the hallway and about 3 rooms down. Not to bad considering he's been in bed for 7 days. Wow. Where did the time go? I can not believe it's been a week since his surgery. It seems like a faded memory. I must be blocking out most of last weeks events because it's hard to imagine what last week was like. Anyways, Carter's walk wiped him out. He feel asleep right after his walk and has been sleeping for the last 3 1/2 hours. They took his oxygen off during the walk to see how he tolerated it. Matt said his oxygen levels dropped into the mid 80's. We were hoping to wean him off the oxygen today. He is going to have to get stronger before he can be weaned off. He is down to 1 IV medication...yea!! And chest tube is doing great. Definitely coming out tomorrow....yea. He is making progress. I guess I didn't realize how weak he would actually be. I didn't realize that transferring to the chair from the bed would exhaust him. Don't get me wrong, baby steps are just fine. But I thought being a nurse and having been through this before had me prepared, I was completely wrong. Each day is a new day!! 1 step at a time my little buddy!!

6 comments:

  1. Yay, Carts! Keep up the good work! You will get stronger each day. Make sure you eat your scooby snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear this wonderful news miss u guys love holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD JOB, CARTER! I e-mailed your "hospital teacher" today. I sure hope she's nice (just not too nice) because we want you to come back to Room 11!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Carter! You are so brave and strong! Can't wait to talk to you, see you and give you a big hug! Aunt Pam and Grandma Crawford are planning on coming to see you on Sunday! Love, kisses and hugs! San and Papa Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tommorow will be even better...give him hugs from us...we miss him

    ReplyDelete

Leave Team Carter a Message: